Posts Tagged ‘rogers on demand’
While it may be cutting it a little close to order a bouquet of flowers to send to your sweetheart, that doesn’t mean you can’t do something to let your Valentine know you’re thinking of them. Here are five (from the heart) ideas:
A gift from the heart of the kitchen
Whether it’s cooking or a heartfelt craft, our friends at Chatelaine have some great last-minute Valentine’s Day ideas. Cook a special dinner or breakfast. Don’t have a significant other? No worries! Chatelaine has a great dinner party idea for you to throw with your friends.
Curl up with a romantic movie
After your meal, why not curl up on the couch with your sweetheart and throw on a romantic movie? Rogers Anyplace TV has a whole romance section to find the movie that’s perfect for the two of you. You can also check out our special Valentine’s Day movie listing on Rogers on Demand (Channel 100).
Make your love into a meme
Make a mixed tape
Sure, cassette tapes don’t really exist anymore, but you can take the teenage tradition of making a mixed tape full of songs expressing your love for your significant other into the 21st century by making a playlist. Use streaming sites such as Rdio, GrooveShark or Songza, or simply create one in iTunes with music you already own. Want to step this one up? Ask your Valentine to dance with you after your dinner.
Send a special photo album
Are you both on Instagram? Why not check out Lovestagram? The site was created
by for an Instagram co-founder by his girlfriend a couple of years ago as a special Valentine. for his Valentine. The site uses the Instagram API to connect two people. After plugging in your username, and your partner’s username, photos that feature the two of you will appear. You can choose to send you partner all the photos or just one on one of three special Valentine’s Day themed backgrounds.
How are you planning to celebrate Valentine’s Day?
Sarah is a regular Redboard contributor.
Update: Ooops! We got it wrong! It was Kaitlyn Trigger who developed Lovestagram FOR her boyfriend Instagram creator Mike Krieger, and not the other way around. According to TechCrunch, the marketing director learned to program in order to surprise Krieger with this special Valentine. Now if that isn’t true love, we don’t know what is!
share this Comments Off
Today we launched the Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app – a new addition to the NextBox 2.0 entertainment experience. In light of today’s launch, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to explore the top five reasons why I personally love Rogers NextBox.
Obviously, this new app is reason #1
1. Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app: Tablets are the perfect TV companion; with this new app you can do the following tasks on your second screen without interrupting what’s playing on your TV:
- Use your compatible tablet or smartphone to search and navigate TV listings
- Use your tablet or smartphone as a virtual remote control
- Manage PVR recordings from your tablet and smartphone
- Scroll through the interactive guide on your tablet, browser or smartphone
- Live stream 25 channels in the home on a tablet, similar to the Rogers Live TV experience
- Real scenarios: Tuesdays are my favourite TV nights; tonight I’ll make sure my PVR is set to record New Girl and the Mindy Project. While my shows are on the TV, I can grab my tablet and browse through what else is on my TV, search other shows and set more recordings. I also enjoy the virtual remote control feature, mostly because I would like to start changing channels while I’m out and pretend my place is haunted.
2. Advanced Search: I like my lazy Sundays, a.k.a. movie marathon sessions. Sometimes I feel extra picky and am in the mood for a film or series which includes a particular director or actor. With our enhanced search tools, you can click on the Guide and press * on your remote and type in what you’re seeking. This same search functionality is also available on the new app! For example, the other day I felt like watching something that featured my Swedish, True Blood mini-obsession, Alexander Skarsgard. A quick search on my TV reveals the available titles he stars in, for instance: Battle Ship, Melancholia, Straw Dogs… and Zoolander (what? I do not remember this appearance!)
3. Karaoke Playlists On Demand: My friends have come to expect some serious karaoke playlists at my place. Check out Rogers On Demand, channel 100 > Music > Karaoke On Demand and choose from a range of genres like rock or country or select by decade to begin building your personal playlist. I prefer rocking out to 90s hip-hop with hairbrushes in hand, but you can also amp up the experience by plugging in a microphone.
4. Whole Home PVR: Need to catch the last minutes of your recorded show while you’re trying not to snooze on the sofa? With NextBox whole home PVR functionality, you can benefit from follow me TV capability and seamlessly resume your program from the comfort of your bedroom.
5. Weather Application: Did you ever wonder what the purpose of the “D” button on your remote control was? For those of you who haven’t tested it out, it displays your weekly, localized weather forecast on your TV screen. When I’m watching BT, before I head out to work, pushing “D” will inform whether or not I should grab my umbrella. This little button can be a lifesaver.
How to get NextBox
If you become a Rogers Digital TV customer you automatically get the NextBox experience. If you’re an existing customer, you may already have an eligible set-top box (4642 and 8642 models). If so, in order to enjoy the benefits of the new guide and enhanced features call in or fill out an online form to get set up. If you do not have an eligible box, then call 1-888-Rogers1 or visit a retail location to purchase one.
What are your favourite NextBox features?
Kaili is a regular contributor to RedBoard
Fall means three things to me – bright, crunchy leaves, the return of pumpkin spice lattes… and HALLOWEEN! Being a huge scary movie buff, I couldn’t wait to check out what Rogers Anyplace TV and Rogers on Demand were offering to get in the spirit this year. And the best part is there’s something for everyone with our lineup.
Rogers Anyplace TV made it easy to spot some of the classics under their “Spooky Cinema section,” with everything from the gory, to funny, to the supernatural. Here you’ll find all 5 of the Saw movies, as well as timeless thrillers like Poltergeist, The Exorcist, and The Shining.
If you’re looking for newer horror flicks, check out recent thrillers Cabin in the Woods, and The Raven, spun from the classic Edgar Allan Poe poem. If you’re seeking a chuckle in between screams, don’t miss Johnny Depp’s quirky comedy Dark Shadows.
Then there’s our Family & Kids collection, where kids can watch some of their favourite TV characters in their Halloween themed episodes, including the Scooby Doo mysteries. Find out what Scooby and the gang are up to and help them solve the Halloween mysteries together.
As much fun as Halloween is with all the movies, candy and costumes, it’s important to remember it’s also a night when extra safety precautions should be taken. That’s why Rogers will be patrolling the streets for the 28th consecutive year with the Pumpkin Patrol. Each year, hundreds of Rogers employees volunteer to patrol neighbourhoods across Ontario and parts of Eastern Canada in our easily recognizable red cable vans.It’s our way of keeping Halloween safe for the children in the areas we serve.
You should also check out the pumpkinpatrol.com website for even more goodies, including games for the kids and safety tips for the big night. Think you’re prepared for no tricks, all treats? Then take the Pumpkin Patrol quiz for fun!
I’m off to pick up some treats for all the little ghouls and goblins headed my way shortly – have a safe and spooky Halloween everyone!
To quote another famous horror movie, “what’s your favourite scary movie?”
UPDATE (October 31, 2012, 4:52 p.m): Here’s a video of our own RogersCarly talking about Pumpkin Patrol on BT Toronto this morning. Check it out for some tips on how to keep kids safe while they’re out trick-or-treating tonight! Happy Halloween!
Kelly is a regular contributor for RedBoard
share this Comments Off
For the next three weeks, the spotlight will continue to be on Canada’s most promising hair and makeup artists competing for the title of Canada’s Best Beauty Talent in an original 12-part digital series.
Hosted by Canadian supermodel Coco Rocha, the web series is available on www.bestbeautytalent.com, Rogers on Demand Channel 100, Rogers Anyplace TV, and Citytv.com. You can catch up on the first three episodes any time and watch the next three episodes as they become available every Sunday and Monday night following the television broadcasts of Canada’s Got Talent on Citytv. The series was created by Rogers Media Client Solutions team and L’Oreal Canada.
Like any good reality show, the competitors are tasked with weekly challenges to create a certain look within a time limit. The looks are then evaluated by host Coco Rocha, resident judge Lisa Tant, editor-in-chief of FLARE, and an array of guest judges including CityLine host Tracy Moore. Two contestants are eliminated each week, and the remaining beauty artists move on. Of the original 12 contestants, six remain in the competition. You can check out their profiles here to learn more about them.
At the end of the competition, the best hair artist and the best makeup artist will get a feature in FLARE, Hello! Canada and LOULOU magazines, the opportunity to attend the Toronto International Film Festival with L’Oreal Paris and a beauty blog on chatelaine.com. The overall grand prize winner will also receive a trip to Paris to visit the L’Oreal headquarters.
For more information on the series, check out www.bestbeautytalent.com and don’t forget to tune in to this week’s webisode available on Sunday, April 29 at 9:00 p.m. EST. You can also follow Canada’s Best Beauty Talent on Facebook and on Twitter, @BeautyTalent.
Of the remaining six contestants, who do you think will be crowned Canada’s Best Beauty Talent?
Miranda is a regular contributor to RedBoard
share this Comments Off
Those days are a thing of the past. Today, we’re introducing the next big thing in TV from Rogers: NextBox 2.0, a suite of new features for Rogers cable customers in Ontario that delivers a TV without borders experience, any time, in any room of your home.
- Whole Home PVR: Now with a single PVR, you can watch your recorded shows from any TV in your home with a NextBox HD Terminal. Why it’s cool? Let’s pretend I’m a huge fan of The Bachelor (who’s pretending? I love it!). I’ve recorded it and can’t wait to see the most dramatic rose ceremony yet, but I’m dozing off on the couch. Now I can seamlessly switch the show to the bedroom and watch the big reveal in the comfort of my bed. You can even watch the same recorded programs in up to 4 rooms at once.
- Rogers Live TV: Stream 22 live TV channels on your iPad or Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet using your home Wi-Fi connection. Why this is a life changer? Say I’m watching a cooking show and instantly get inspired to whip up a dish along with the TV host; I can switch the live show to my tablet into the kitchen and live stream the show while I embark on my culinary adventure.
- An enhanced interactive TV guide: A sleek and intuitive new HD interface, with advanced search capabilities. Why do I love this? Because I can customize and build personalized channel guides and easily search for that show everyone is buzzing about, while never losing sight of the current episode. The new on demand portal makes it easier to check out what’s new on Rogers On Demand Channel 100.
- More tailored cable and internet packages: Usage-based packaging options. What does this mean? It means I can choose the services best suited to my TV and internet needs. All packages come with a discounted monthly TV service, NextBox 2.0 free for 6 months and a PVR Extender that allows you to record and store even more of your favourite shows! Whether you watch a little TV or a lot, there’s a variety of packages available to suit your needs.
With NextBox 2.0 home entertainment is now on your schedule and on the screen of your choice. Speaking of entertainment on any screen of your choice, Rogers On Demand Online has a new name: Rogers Anyplace TV.
It’s still your online entertainment destination or your favourite on-demand primetime TV shows, kids programming, specialty channels, movie rentals, and live streaming sports action – just with a different name. The new name captures the next step in TV entertainment. It’s about streaming sports action while you’re commuting or enjoying the latest episode of 30 Rock on your mobile when you’re waiting in line. It’s entertainment right at your fingertips.
In addition to watching your favourite programming online on your PC, you can also watch on your smartphone, tablet and Xbox 360.
Got a special place in your heart for Rogers On Demand? Your favourite On Demand hotspot on channel 100 will be keeping the Rogers On Demand name alive.
You’ll be able to see the new name starting now at RogersAnyplaceTV.com and over the next couple months, you’ll start to see the name changing for the mobile app and Xbox platforms.
Which room do you think is the best for TV viewing? Join the discussion on Twitter by using or following #NextBox.
UPDATE (February 27, 2012, 6:43 a.m): Looking for more information on NextBox 2.0? Take a look at this video to see it in action:
UPDATE (February 29, 2012, 4:18 p.m): If you are an existing Rogers Digital TV customer with a NextBox HD Terminal (Cisco 4642) and/or NextBox HDPVR (Cisco 8642) and wish to get the new guide, just complete the form here: www.rogers.com/enhancedguide to upgrade to the Rogers Enhanced Guide, at no additional cost.
Just click on the “Can I Get It” tab and fill out all the necessary boxes on the form and press ORDER NOW. It will take up to 72hrs to process. Once you’ve filled it out, it will update all of your compatible digital set-top boxes in your home.
Kaili is a regular contributor to RedBoard
Lots of big happenings at Rogers On Demand Online! We’re all buzzing about the fact that we’ve got a fantastic TMN Free Preview for Rogers cable customers happening right now. If you watch television, or if you don’t, I’m sure you’re familiar with a whole bunch of the titles that you can check out here with just a click of a button. Here’s a rundown of just a few of the shows you could check out for free right now.
Some of us will always think of Dustin Hoffman as Benjamin in The Graduate or maybe for his Oscar-winning role in Rain Man. However, I’m guessing that his starring role in HBO’s brand new series Luck will introduce him to a whole new audience. The shows deals with horseracing and gambling and has a knockout cast that not only includes Dustin Hoffman, but Nick Nolte and Dennis Farina as well. Throw in the fact that it was created by David Milch, who also came up with classic shows like NYPD Blue and Deadwood and it gets even better. But wait, we’re not done yet. The pilot episode, which you can check out right now in our free preview, was directed by the amazing Michael Mann. Take a look at Luck and let us know what you think.
Speaking of Deadwood, that’s another show you can check out in our TMN Free Preview. This is the western to end all western, featuring a star making performance by the great Ian McShane. You can sample the first two episodes from the first season of Deadwood right now for the low cost of free.
Game of Thrones
One of the most anticipated returns this television season is that of Game of Thrones, which was a huge success when it first aired last year. I didn’t watch it right away, but I did play catch up not long ago and have to say I was suitably impressed. Great set pieces, great acting – you don’t have to be a hugh fan of fantasy to get into all of the intrigue. In our TMN Free Preview, you can check out the first episode of Game of Thrones season one, which really sets the stage for all that’s to come.
Those are just a few of the shows you can check out in TMN’s Free Preview. But really, there are so many more shows for you to sample – Showtimes Nurse Jackie, Curb Your Enthusiasm, True Blood and many, many more. Definitely head over to Rogers On Demand Online and take a look at all of these stellar, award winning shows. I’m pretty sure you’ll find at least one you like. And to read more TMN Free Preview related info, be sure to check Rogers Beyond The Guide blog. The TMN Free Preview is on now until February 26th.
What’s your favourite show in the free preview? We want to know!
Andrew is a regular contributor to RedBoard
share this Comments Off
It’s hard to believe that we’re near the end of January already. How are you feeling? Resolved? Tired? Ready to take on a brand new year? A new year also means brand new tv shows all vying for your time and eyes. To bring you up to speed on what’s out there, we’ve put together a list of some of the new prime time shows we’ve got on Rogers On Demand Online. Take a look – I bet there’s something you’ll love to watch.
What do you get when you combine the most ominous prison in American history with one of the most acclaimed creators currently working in television? The answer is J.J. Abrams’ Alcatraz, which is free to watch to everyone. The show stars Sam Neil, Jorge Garcia (Hurley from Lost) and Sarah Jones. The series combines the supernatural mystery of Lost with a police procedural style case of the week, which makes it an entertaining show. The big question of the series – how are long supposed dead former Alcatraz prisoners alive in contemporary San Francisco having not aged a day? Hopefully, we’ll get answers sooner than later.
Take a look at the new CBC show Arctic Air, free to watch for all Rogers Customers, and you may notice a familiar face. Adam Beach has been seen in all sorts of mainstream fair, including the film Cowboys and Aliens, Flags Of Our Fathers and as a regular on Law and Order: SVU. In Arctic Air, Beach stars as Bobby, who returns home to Yellowknife and the family business, a maverick airline run by an eclectic group of people. The show is already a huge hit, with more than 1 million people watching the premiere episode. Catch up on the series and see what Canada’s been talking about, right here.
My Babysitter’s A Vampire
If you’re looking for something for the kids, you should definitely check out Teletoon’s My Babysitter’s A Vampire. What began as a made for television film is now a full on series about a trio with some cool powers – Ehtan is a Seer, his best pal Benny is a spellmaster and his babysitter Sarah just happens to be a vampire. Together, they take on all sorts of things that go bump in the night – from zombies and ghosts to demons and witches. My Babysitter’s A Vampire is free to watch to Rogers cable customers, so catch up on the first three episodes right now.
Of all the new shows that have premiered in 2012, which are you most excited about?
Andrew is a regular contributor to RedBoard
With less than 3 days to go until the big day, I’m getting more and more into the holiday spirit. I got all my holiday shopping done early this year thanks to Connected Magazine’s “Holiday Gift Guide,” which included a U.S.S. enterprise Lego kit for my dad (big Trekkie!), and the POP phone for my sister.
Personally, I’m looking forward to relaxing and hosting a few gatherings with close friends and family now that shopping’s out of the way. In the spirit of sharing, here are some ways I’m bringing holiday cheer into my home this season.
- Rogers On Demand’s Holiday Channel: Here you’ll find the best this holiday season has to offer, including kid’s favourite’s, editor’s picks, and of course classic movies and TV specials for the whole family to enjoy. For more ideas, check out Andrew’s “HoHoHo It’s the Holiday Channel” Redboard post.
- The Fireplace Channel: Those of us not lucky enough to have a fireplace thrive on this channel this time of year. Now I know, it’s not the real thing – but you still get the warm glow and crackle from the fire. Tune in on channels 204 for SD and 574 for HD.
- Galaxie Channels on Rogers On Demand: This is another great one to have going in the background if you already have a fireplace. Right now on Galaxie we’ve got 9 holiday stations to suit everyone’s needs! Listen online and through select tablets and smartphones – free for all Rogers digital customers!
- RogersurMusic: If you’re conflicted between the Fireplace Channel or Galaxie holiday music channels, fear not – you can have both! I like to entertain with the Fireplace channel going on my TV, and my special holiday mix playing in the background. urMusic has TONS of holiday tracks to download this season – everything from The Muppets to Bing Crosby!
As I type this post in front of the Fireplace Channel with eggnog in hand, and Nat King Cole’s “Merry Christmas to You” in the background, I’d like to wish all our readers a happy holiday on behalf of Rogers!
Kelly is a regular contributor to RedBoard
share this Comments Off
I’m a huge Xbox fan, and have been for a very long time; I was at one of the launch parties for the first console way back in 2001! It’s the most important part of my home entertainment experience: from blockbuster releases and independent games to custom portals and behind the scenes videos, the console is the centerpiece of my home video experience. As such, I am really thrilled to be involved in one of our most anticipated new projects.
Here at Rogers, we’re always exploring opportunities to bring you the content you love in new and exciting ways. With that in mind, we are excited to announce that Rogers On Demand will be coming to the Xbox 360 in time for the holidays!
Features and Programming
Our application will be a great way to enjoy Rogers On Demand content from anywhere via your Xbox 360, and will integrate seamlessly with the new Xbox dashboard experience. Features will include:
- A diverse assortment of TV shows like Mad Men, movies, trailers and curated channels such as the Kids & Family Collection
- Kinect integration including voice and gesture based commands to browse and load content
- Predictive search to quickly locate the content you’re looking for
Rogers postpaid wireless, home phone and Internet customers can catch-up on shows from Citytv, CBC and CBC News Network, watch movie trailers and more. Rogers cable TV customers have access to premium channel programming that they subscribe to through their existing cable package.
We are constantly working to add new features and content! Stay tuned as we add more shows and movies to our ever growing library. Let us know in the comments below if there are features that you would like to see on the Rogers On Demand on Xbox 360 experience.
The application will be available to all Rogers customers who have an Xbox LIVE Gold membership and a Rogers On Demand Online account. If you are already registered at Rogersondemand.com, you will be good to go! If you haven’t registered yet, be sure to set up a free account for access to a selection of great content on the Xbox 360, select Android devices, iPhone and iPad as well as on your computer.
At Rogers, we’re always working hard to provide new experiences on new platforms. Be sure to let us know what you think in the comments section below. You can also connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.
To see the Rogers on Demand application on Xbox in action, check out this short video:
Are you excited about the Rogers On Demand experience on Xbox 360?
Edward is a regular contributor to RedBoard
You’re busy. We get it. So our friends at Connected Magazine are always putting together what they call “10 second tips:” quick and easy tips to help you get the most out of your Rogers TV and wireless experience. Here are 3 quick ones:
Create a Rogers on Demand Online Playlist
Want to set up a movie marathon? Why not add 15 minute musical interludes to the mix so you can take bathroom or snack breaks? Just set up a Rogers on Demand Online Playlist so you can play TV shows, video clips, music videos and movies without having to return to the main menu. Here’s how:
- Register for Rogers on Demand Online. It’s free at http://rogersondemand.com
- Sign in and find the shows, movies or clips you like. Click on the + symbol under the item to add it to your playlist
- Click My Playlist when you’re done. To watch your items, just click on one and your playlist will start.
- After your video is done, you can continue to select other videos from your playlist which will be located down the right side of your screen
Check your monthly wireless usage
Are you going to go over your monthly data? How many minutes do you have left? Here’s three ways to find out:
- Go to rogers.com and log into your My Rogers account (or create an account for free). In the wireless section, click Load Wireless Usage and presto! There’s your usage for the month
- Download the free My Account app from your device’s app store. Open it and select Check Wireless Usage. Done.
- You can also find out your usage on your phone. Select Internet from the main menu or just text HOME to 4836 and select the My Account link from your home page. Click More under My Account.
Create a Rogers on Demand PIN Code
New release movies or sporting events on Rogers on Demand can incur rental charges. To rent anything, you must enter your own code. You probably already know that the default code is set to 0000 but if you want to change your PIN, here’s how:
- Press settings twice on your Rogers remote
- Scroll down the list and select Purchase: PIN, Press OK.
- Scroll through and select Enable to activate your PIN code. Follow the prompts and when complete, press Exit.
Miranda is a regular contributor to RedBoard