- The NHL Playoffs start tonight! Digital cable customers can catch @BlueJacketsNHL vs. @Penguins at 7:30 p.m. ET on channel 435
Posts Tagged ‘Fireplace channel’
While we’re hoping the spring weather is here to stay, we haven’t forgotten the chilly nights of curling up in front of a fireplace. As the many fans of the Fireplace Channel (channel 204) have learned, you don’t need a home with a chimney and mantle to relax by the fire. The virtual orange glow and sound of crackling logs is surprisingly satisfying!
But, for those of you lucky enough to have the real thing, we’ve got a great chance for you to showcase how you keep your home fires burning. One lucky winner will get to see – and hear– their roaring flames on the Fireplace Channel for a full year, and win a Rogers Nextbox to boot.
The winning entry will hit the airwaves in November 2013. In the meantime, if you’re looking for some entertainment with a more springtime bent, try tuning into the Sunset Channel (find it on your dial at 206) or the Aquarium Channel (205).
How it works
Starting April 8, 2013, send a photo of your current fireplace setup to email@example.com with the subject “Fireplace contest” and tell us in 100 characters or less why your fireplace should take the starring role on the Fireplace Channel. Make sure to include your full name, email address, phone number and location. We’ll be accepting entries until May 1. The contest is open to anyone living in an area where Rogers cable services are available. Read the full rules here.
UPDATE, May 1: Thanks to everyone who participated in our Fireplace Channel contest! The prize has been drawn and we’ll be contacting the winner by email soon. Keep an eye on your inbox!
The big day is a mere week away. The last minute purchases and hectic scheduling of holiday engagements prove that this is one of the most chaotic times of the year. I try to stay peaceful each holiday season by maintaining a handful of my own annual traditions. My top activity is simply being up north and trekking through the snow, and eventually heading inside to linger by the fireplace with a hot chocolate and classic festive flick in hand.
I also recommend these five holiday essentials listed below. They may help you rejoice in the festive spirit of the season, without getting too exhausted before the New Year.
1. Get the Fireplace (channel) burning (channel 204) – Sadly, I don’t have a real fireplace in the city, that being the case, this is the modern equivalent to lighting up that warm glow in your home. Did you know that it actually sounds like a crackling wood log.
2. Establish your musical mood- Galaxie holiday music channels on your TV – I always have music playing in the background and these channels are the perfect excuse to crank up the carols while I’m entertaining or feverishly baking away. Rogers digital TV customers can enjoy the following:
- Holiday Favourites - channel 710
- Franco Fêtes – channel 750
- Smooth Jazz Christmas - channel 744
- If you’re by your computer, click on the Holiday music video playlist here.
3. Holiday movie marathon mode- The Holiday Cheer collection on Rogers On Demand, channel 100 has the movies you’ve been eagerly waiting to re-watch while you’re snuggled up indoors such as Miracle on 34th Street (classic and remake), National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation and one my childhood favourites, All I want for Christmas. This year Ed Burns came into town for the premiere of The Fitzgerald Family Christmas. I absolutely fell in love with this film, which he wrote, directed and stars in. It’s also available on RogersAnyplaceTV.com.
4. Reconnect with loved ones – if you’re a Rogers wireless customer and have friends and family across Canada and around the world, sign up for Rogers One Number to extend your mobile number to your computer and compatible tablets. Bonus: users have unlimited Canada-wide calling when using the Rogers One Number web phone on their computer or tablet. This way if your cousin abroad can’t make it to dinner or for the unwrapping of gifts, just save a chair for your computer or tablet and have them virtually present (I have yet to do this, but it does seem highly entertaining).
5. Rock out - Electronic dance music fans out West, check out Contact powered by Rogers; Western Canada’s largest EDM festival at BC Place in Vancouver taking place on December 26. Featuring Deadmau5 unhooked, Alesso, Nero and more. Rogers Wireless Box Office ticket holders get in early and Rogers pays the ticket service fees. If you’re shopped out, this is another great way to spend Boxing Day.
Wishing you a very merry next couple weeks!
I’m curious, what’s your favourite holiday film or song?
Kaili is regular contributor to RedBoard
With less than 3 days to go until the big day, I’m getting more and more into the holiday spirit. I got all my holiday shopping done early this year thanks to Connected Magazine’s “Holiday Gift Guide,” which included a U.S.S. enterprise Lego kit for my dad (big Trekkie!), and the POP phone for my sister.
Personally, I’m looking forward to relaxing and hosting a few gatherings with close friends and family now that shopping’s out of the way. In the spirit of sharing, here are some ways I’m bringing holiday cheer into my home this season.
- Rogers On Demand’s Holiday Channel: Here you’ll find the best this holiday season has to offer, including kid’s favourite’s, editor’s picks, and of course classic movies and TV specials for the whole family to enjoy. For more ideas, check out Andrew’s “HoHoHo It’s the Holiday Channel” Redboard post.
- The Fireplace Channel: Those of us not lucky enough to have a fireplace thrive on this channel this time of year. Now I know, it’s not the real thing – but you still get the warm glow and crackle from the fire. Tune in on channels 204 for SD and 574 for HD.
- Galaxie Channels on Rogers On Demand: This is another great one to have going in the background if you already have a fireplace. Right now on Galaxie we’ve got 9 holiday stations to suit everyone’s needs! Listen online and through select tablets and smartphones – free for all Rogers digital customers!
- RogersurMusic: If you’re conflicted between the Fireplace Channel or Galaxie holiday music channels, fear not – you can have both! I like to entertain with the Fireplace channel going on my TV, and my special holiday mix playing in the background. urMusic has TONS of holiday tracks to download this season – everything from The Muppets to Bing Crosby!
As I type this post in front of the Fireplace Channel with eggnog in hand, and Nat King Cole’s “Merry Christmas to You” in the background, I’d like to wish all our readers a happy holiday on behalf of Rogers!
Kelly is a regular contributor to RedBoard
share this Comments Off
I love this time of year. ‘Tis the season for entertaining – and for being entertained.
It’s also a great time of year to be a Rogers customer as we have loads of ideas to make the most of the festive season whether you’re at home in front of your HD TV, your computer or on the go.
Here are some fun things sure to create a smile over the holidays:
- Peruse the holiday folder on Rogers On Demand (Digital Cable TV channel 100). It has heartwarming classics like It’s A Wonderful Life and hilarious hits like National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, as well as more recent holiday favourites like Elf and The Polar Express. Many of the flicks are available in HD.
- Click on the Holiday Channel on Rogers On Demand Online (RODO) for holiday episodes of popular TV series, like Glee and Modern Family. You can also rent holiday favourites on RODO like The Muppet Christmas Carol and Santa Claus: The Movie.
- Set the mood for your holiday get-together with commercial-free hits from the Galaxie music channels – available both on Rogers On Demand and RODO. Holiday music genres include Traditional Holiday (channel 710), Smooth Jazz Christmas (channel 744) and Franco Fête (channel 750). If you’re not looking to have holiday music at your party, we’ve got dozens of other channels from ambient to country to top 40.
- Keep partygoers warm and toasty with The Fireplace Channel (HD channel 574; SD channel 204; channel 100) or kick your party up a notch with Karaoke On Demand (channel 100) – just be careful, you may not get rid of your guests until the wee hours of the morning.
- Grab some great holiday-flavoured apps for your smartphone. Vancouver’s Breakfast Televison recently featured Dustin, one of our Data Guyz, talking about the No More Socks, Point Inside and Postcards from Santa apps. Check out the clip below:
How are you planning on entertaining this holiday season?
Stacey Fowler is a regular contributor to RedBoard.
share this Comments Off