- Get your #baseball cap on! MLB Extra Innings is on free preview until May 5th. ^eo
Posts Tagged ‘app’
Hockey is back, woot woot! Who is going to be tuning in when the puck drops tomorrow? There are some great free previews, deals, and ways to stay close to the ice action. Here’s an overview of what hockey fans can expect.
Free preview of NHL Centre Ice:
- Rogers customers can enjoy a free preview of NHL Centre Ice from Jan. 19 to Jan. 31
- Approximately 600 games available for the full season
- NHL Centre Ice is available as part of the Rogers Super Sports Pak, which also includes OHL Action Pak, NBA League Pass, MLB Extra Innings, a subscription to Sportsnet magazine and more
- Rogers customers can also purchase NHL Centre Ice à la carte for the reduced cost of $49.99 for a one-time fee for the full season
Get your hockey fix from Sportsnet: Sportsnet will deliver unparalleled NHL coverage across broadcast, radio, digital and print, including Sportsnet’s Hockey Central Tonight, Hockey Central @ Noon, Sportsnet.ca and Sportsnet magazine
TSN HD free preview – Rogers digital TV customers who subscribe to TSN can tune into TSN HD for 3 months (until April 30) at no additional cost
Rogers wireless customers from coast to coast can catch CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada on their smartphones
- The Rogers Anyplace TV mobile app features live CBC Hockey Night in Canada broadcasts of all national games
- For $5/month, the app provides 5 hours of viewing with overage charges of $1 per additional hour. Until April 30, 2013 overage charges are waived providing unlimited viewing
Follow the puck on your tablet with live streaming in the home with the Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app
- Supplement your TV watching with live streaming of Sportsnet and CBC on your tablet from the comfort of your couch
Where will you be watching the game on Saturday?
UPDATE: January 30 2013, 1:27pm On your computer (coming soon to tablet) : Rogers digital TV customers in the GTA who subscribe to Sportsnet Ontario and/or Leafs TV can log into RogersAnyplaceTV.com to live stream Toronto Maple Leafs broadcasts. This includes live games aired from Sportsnet Ontario and Leafs TV only .
UPDATE: February 26 2013, 9:24 am: The Sportsnet Leafs Live app is now available on iPad. See url here: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/sportsnet-leafs-live/id600547579?mt=8
Kaili is a regular Redboard contributor
Home Alone is my all-time favourite Christmas movie. Left to his own devices, young Kevin McAllister manages to fend off house burglars Harry and Marv – otherwise known as the Wet Bandits – by setting a complicated series of traps, which they manage to walk into at every turn.
Like the Wet Bandits, many burglars across the country view the holidays as prime break-in season. As many Canadian families take off on vacation, houses are left filled with new gift items like electronics, jewelry and other valuables. That’s why protecting your home has never been more important.
You may already be aware of Rogers Smart Home Monitoring, a home monitoring and automation service that lets you control sensors, cameras, thermostats, lights and small appliances remotely through your computer or smartphone. So whether you’re visiting the in-laws for a weekend, have taken off to Florida for Christmas break, or you’re skiing with the family this holiday season, you can keep a close watch on your home and be alerted the instant a problem occurs.
Rogers Smart Home Monitoring doesn’t just keep your house safe and secure from outside intruders. It is an ultimate in ‘peace of mind’ technology, monitoring everything from water seepage, carbon monoxide levels, to lighting, and now with a new feature, it allows you to tailor and personalize the system to meet your needs. So if you’re like me and manage to leave your hair straightener on every morning, you can turn it off remotely on your way to work.
And upgrades and enhancements are always being made to the product. Here are just a few new Rogers Smart Home Monitoring features:
- Outdoor wireless night-vision camera: now stay alerted of activity in your own backyard
- Appliance switch: remotely turn any appliance or lamp in your home on and off, with no extra outlet required
- Free Android™, BlackBerry® and iPhone Smart Home Monitoring Apps: Available to all Rogers Smart Home Monitoring customers, these apps let you securely view and control your system from anywhere, using your smartphone or tablet
We’ll continue to update you on news and new features of Rogers Smart Home Monitoring over the coming months. Not only that, we will keep you informed of how some of our customers are experiencing the system and how they’ve tailored Rogers Smart Home Monitoring to meet their families’ needs.
To find out more about Rogers Smart Home Monitoring, go to www.rogers.com/smart
How do you plan to keep your house safe this holiday season?
Michelle is a regular contributor to RedBoard
share this Comments Off
Today we launched the Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app – a new addition to the NextBox 2.0 entertainment experience. In light of today’s launch, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to explore the top five reasons why I personally love Rogers NextBox.
Obviously, this new app is reason #1
1. Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app: Tablets are the perfect TV companion; with this new app you can do the following tasks on your second screen without interrupting what’s playing on your TV:
- Use your compatible tablet or smartphone to search and navigate TV listings
- Use your tablet or smartphone as a virtual remote control
- Manage PVR recordings from your tablet and smartphone
- Scroll through the interactive guide on your tablet, browser or smartphone
- Live stream 25 channels in the home on a tablet, similar to the Rogers Live TV experience
- Real scenarios: Tuesdays are my favourite TV nights; tonight I’ll make sure my PVR is set to record New Girl and the Mindy Project. While my shows are on the TV, I can grab my tablet and browse through what else is on my TV, search other shows and set more recordings. I also enjoy the virtual remote control feature, mostly because I would like to start changing channels while I’m out and pretend my place is haunted.
2. Advanced Search: I like my lazy Sundays, a.k.a. movie marathon sessions. Sometimes I feel extra picky and am in the mood for a film or series which includes a particular director or actor. With our enhanced search tools, you can click on the Guide and press * on your remote and type in what you’re seeking. This same search functionality is also available on the new app! For example, the other day I felt like watching something that featured my Swedish, True Blood mini-obsession, Alexander Skarsgard. A quick search on my TV reveals the available titles he stars in, for instance: Battle Ship, Melancholia, Straw Dogs… and Zoolander (what? I do not remember this appearance!)
3. Karaoke Playlists On Demand: My friends have come to expect some serious karaoke playlists at my place. Check out Rogers On Demand, channel 100 > Music > Karaoke On Demand and choose from a range of genres like rock or country or select by decade to begin building your personal playlist. I prefer rocking out to 90s hip-hop with hairbrushes in hand, but you can also amp up the experience by plugging in a microphone.
4. Whole Home PVR: Need to catch the last minutes of your recorded show while you’re trying not to snooze on the sofa? With NextBox whole home PVR functionality, you can benefit from follow me TV capability and seamlessly resume your program from the comfort of your bedroom.
5. Weather Application: Did you ever wonder what the purpose of the “D” button on your remote control was? For those of you who haven’t tested it out, it displays your weekly, localized weather forecast on your TV screen. When I’m watching BT, before I head out to work, pushing “D” will inform whether or not I should grab my umbrella. This little button can be a lifesaver.
How to get NextBox
If you become a Rogers Digital TV customer you automatically get the NextBox experience. If you’re an existing customer, you may already have an eligible set-top box (4642 and 8642 models). If so, in order to enjoy the benefits of the new guide and enhanced features call in or fill out an online form to get set up. If you do not have an eligible box, then call 1-888-Rogers1 or visit a retail location to purchase one.
What are your favourite NextBox features?
Kaili is a regular contributor to RedBoard
Soccer fans, rejoice! Rogers customers can catch live matches of the best international soccer leagues on TV, online and mobile with Rogers Anyplace TV. For the first time in Canada, Rogers brings exclusive live access to non-televised or tape-delayed matches. You can catch every single UEFA Champions League match and hundreds of Barclays Premier League and UEFA Europa League matches, from anywhere.
Here’s how to keep your eye on the ball:
On your TV: Rogers digital TV customers can tune into 12 channels for all the action: Sportsnet, Sportsnet ONE and Sportsnet World. Sportsnet World subscribers also have access to the new Sportsnet World Plus channels.
On your computer: Rogers digital television customers who subscribe to Sportsnet World can live stream the matches on their computers via RogersAnyplaceTV.com.
On your smartphone: Rogers wireless customers can live stream the games on their smartphones with the Rogers Anyplace TV Live mobile app, available through the Apple App Store, Google Play and BlackBerry App World. For $5/month, the app provides unlimited hours of viewing until April 30, 2013, after which time users can stream 5 hours per month at $1 per each additional hour.
What does this mean for soccer fanatics like me?
It means that fans of the Barclays Premier League will get to enjoy a large selection of the best English soccer on Saturdays and Sundays, as 20 teams battle it out for championship glory and to avoid relegation. Watch as the 1st and 2nd top goal scorers from last season as Robin Van Persie and Wayne Rooney team up on a star studded Manchester United roster. David Silva leads Manchester City in a spirited defense of their Premier League championship and Fernando Torres powers Chelsea in their charge for their first BPL title since 2009-2010.
For followers of the UEFA Champions League, we will have every single match, featuring the very best clubs from England, Spain, Germany, Italy, France and more. Most matches air on weekdays during business hours – but no need to worry about missing out! Rogers Anyplace TV has you covered so you can check in on your favourite team via your computer or smartphone. Tune in as Chelsea attempts to repeat as champions against fierce competition, including a powerhouse FC Barcelona squad featuring the dynamic Lionel Messi.
How to sign up:
Rogers Digital TV customers with a subscription to Sportsnet World can create a free account at RogersAnyplaceTV.com to get access to hours of European soccer online.
Nationwide, Rogers wireless customers can watch soccer matches in the palm of their hand by downloading the Rogers Anyplace TV Live app to their smartphone from the Apple, Android or BlackBerry app store.
In your opinion, who is the best soccer player of all time?
Edward is a regular contributor to RedBoard
The success of Canada’s students is important to us as a company. It’s why we’re kicking off a monthly series of blog posts that will shine a light upon the fantastic work being done by our signature national community giving initiative, the Rogers Youth Fund™ and the organizations we’re working with across the country.
Up first, Allô prof, a Quebec-based non-profit that provides homework support by telephone and online to Quebec’s elementary and high-school students, as well as their parents. A team of qualified educators joins a virtual team of student assistants, parents and others from the educational sector to bring this service to life.
Rogers Youth Fund is supporting the essential work being done by Allô prof along with a number of its initiatives, including video tutorials and online interactive games. Now, Allô prof is gearing up to launch a new application that will allow students to chat with Allô prof educators on their smartphones. They’ll be able to submit questions by text message and archive their conversations.
I had the pleasure of speaking with Marc-Antoine Tanguay, director of marketing and communications for Allô prof to get the scoop:
Q : Why an application? What are your hopes for this new tool?
A : Allô prof’s philosophy is the key to its success: be where youth are. They’re the ones who ask us to meet them in these technological spaces that offer such immense possibilities when it comes to helping kids out with their studies. That’s why, thanks to Rogers, we’re developing a mobile version of the Allô prof website, as well as a text-messaging-based application. Students will not only be able to send us questions by text message, they’ll be able to forward photos too. Given that more and more content is adapted for mobile devices, the potential is enormous. For an Allô prof educator, it’ll be easy and quick to direct a student with a question to an online video or to a fact sheet in our virtual library. We’ll be able to engage with students more quickly, which will allow us to help even more students, or simply help the ones who already call on us, more often. The new application will be available for iPhone and Android devices by January.
Q : What other projects have you been able to launch with support from the Rogers Youth Fund?
A : We develop our entire technological and mobile offering with the support of Rogers. Besides the text messaging application, we’ll be launching an online interactive game called Magimot, which will help elementary school students improve their vocabulary and spelling skills. Magimot joins Fin Lapin, another online game that teaches basic math. Over 1 million Fin Lapin games were played in just under 4 months, so we’re very pleased with its success. In January, we’ll launch the mobile version of our current website, which includes, among other things, 21 new video tutorials which have been viewed more than 15 000 times since they launched last May. What’s more, support from the Rogers Youth Fund has contributed to the hiring of 50% more educators this year. And of course these teachers are at the centre of everything we do.
Q : Why do you believe so strongly in the importance of a service like Allô prof?
A : There’s something touching about what we do at Allô prof in that we speak directly to young people. Just to give you an example, we recently received a thank-you note from a high school student who was the victim of bullying. He told us that he was able to get through his situation and build up his self-confidence thanks to the support he’d received from our educators. You have to keep in mind that in order to get our help in the first place, the student has work to do: at the very least, he has a telephone number to call or a website to visit. Young people are often the target of a lot of criticism from society. With the school reform here in Quebec, the media was constantly sending the message that a whole generation of students would suffer. The message they hear from Allô prof is that we believe in our youth and we’re here to support them. It’s this confidence that we give to young people.
The Rogers Youth Fund supports non-profit organizations near you. Join us for the next blog post in this new series, for a featured interview with Ian Edward, Executive Director of the Toronto Kiwanis Boys & Girls Clubs.
Michelle is a regular contributor to Redboard.
share this Comments Off
Last February, we announced Rogers One Number, a new service exclusively from Rogers that lets you talk, text and send picture messages and video chat with other Rogers One Number users, all from your computer using your existing phone number. Your feedback was positive and several of you told us that Rogers One Number really helped to simplify your life. So what’s next for Rogers One Number? Well, we’re thrilled to tell you that the service now works with your home phone and tablet, and we’re rolling out a solution for small business customers as well.
Get even more from your one Rogers wireless number. With an Internet connection, you can now extend your Rogers wireless number to make or transfer calls using a computer, tablet, and regular phone with an adapter.
- On iPad: With the Rogers One Number app, you can talk on the go, and even video chat with other Rogers One Number users. The app is expected to launch soon for Android tablets as well.
- On Your Regular Phone: With the add-on service, you can connect your regular phone to a telephone adapter and use your wireless number to make calls using the Internet. You’ll enjoy unlimited Canadian long distance and not use your daytime wireless minutes while using your regular phone. The adapter is $24.99, the add-on service is $9.95 per month (plus applicable taxes). Visit your local Rogers retail store to purchase the adapter.
- Check out this video for more information about how you can extend your wireless number to your regular phone.
If you’re a small business customer, we’ll post updates about the business solution on RedBoard Biz closer to launch.
To refresh your memory about the original features of Rogers One Number, check out this video of Miranda chatting with Winston when it first launched.
What do you think is the most useful feature of Rogers One Number?
UPDATE (November 1, 2012, 12:23 p.m): As promised, the Rogers One Number app for Android tablets is now available! Download it right here.
Kaili is a regular contributor to RedBoard
The arrival of warmer temperatures also means many families are starting to plan their summer vacations. Whether its road trips or just a day at home, we know that keeping kids entertained all summer long can sometimes be a challenge.
When it comes to travelling with kids this summer, we’ve got just the thing: Treehouse and YTV are now available on Rogers Anyplace TV Live app on your Rogers smartphone. If you’re a busy, always on the go kind of family, this app will come in handy. Whether you’re driving the kids to camp, up north or back and forth to all their summer activities and hobbies, you can keep the kids entertained and occupied with their favourite TV shows.
If you’re an avid sports fan, you’re probably already familiar with our live app for smartphones for live streaming sports. From hockey playoffs andRaptors, to the Blue Jays – you’ve had it all in the palm of your hands.
The app, formerly known as the “Rogers Live Mobile app,” is now referred to as Rogers Anyplace TV Live app. The Rogers Anyplace TV brand is the ultimate cross platform experience in Canada: across computer, tablet, smartphone, and Xbox. Entertainment, news, sports on the screen of your choice, anytime you want it.
What you need to know about the Rogers Anyplace TV Live app for smartphones:
- The app is available on Rogers smartphones through iTunes, Google Play and BlackBerry App World.
- For $5/month, fans can enjoy unlimited hours of viewing until October 31st, after which, users can stream 5 hours per month, with $1 per each additional hour.
- The live and on demand smartphone apps for Rogers Anyplace TV are also included in $12.79 and $16.79 value packs
When I reminisce on my rambunctious childhood, specifically times when my little sister and I would belt out the same song over and over on family road trips, I really commend my parents for their patience with us.If this app would have existed during our loud and energetic outbursts, I’m positive my parents would have taken full advantage of it.
With the Rogers Anyplace TV Live app you get live games like the Blue Jays, basketball, hockey, tennis and music concerts, news such as CityNews, and kids programming like YTV and Treehouse. With Rogers Anyplace TV On Demand on your smartphone, you get up to 60 On Demand channels, including Citytv, CBC, W Network, TMN, Teletoon, TVO Kids, HGTV Canada and movie trailers.
We’re curious to hear from you, as we continue to add more content to our Rogers Anyplace TV lineup, what genre of entertainment is your favourite to take on the go, i.e. sports, news, primetime TV, etc.?
Kaili is a regular contributor to RedBoard
According to a recent MoneySense article, a break-in occurs every 90 seconds in Canada. Now more than ever, Canadians should be thinking about how they can protect their home.
We’re always making updates to Smart Home Monitoring so in part 2 of this series, we’re going to give you the low-down on some of the latest enhancements: expanded access to the system with the new BlackBerry app and a new program we’re participating in with Allstate that could help reduce your home insurance premiums.
BlackBerry App now available
You can now access Smart Home Monitoring from any BlackBerry smartphone. In addition to our iPhone app, iPad app and Android app, you can now download the Smart Home Monitoring BlackBerry App from BlackBerry App World.
The app allows you to view and control your Smart Home Monitoring system from your smartphone.
Teaming up with Allstate Canada
Last month, we announced with Allstate Canada a new program for customers who have installed Smart Home Monitoring. If you’re an Allstate customer in a market where Smart Home Monitoring is available, you now have the opportunity to receive a 25 per cent discount on your home insurance premiums.
Allstate customers also receive a free water leak sensor from Rogers with the purchase of a hardware package that includes a touchpad, three window and door sensors and a motion detector.
Some conditions apply. Check out all of the details here.
You can learn more about Smart Home Monitoring from Rogers by visiting www.rogers.com/smarthome.
Allison is a regular contributor to RedBoard
share this Comments Off
Introducing Sportsnet Ontario on Rogers Live TV: Stream live sports action on your tablet anywhere in your home
Last December we were thrilled to tell you about the Rogers Live TV beta app - a first in Canada. We’re always looking to expand our channel line-up and since we live and breathe sports at Rogers, it was only natural for us to add Sportsnet to the Rogers Live TV channel line-up!
Based on personal experience, I can tell you that this app can come in handy. If you’re in a household with well-known remote control hoggers or constant channel surfers, picking up your tablet and taking live TV into your own hands is the best solution.
With Sportsnet Ontario on Rogers Live TV, you get the same broadcast feed on your TV and on your tablet.
As a refresher, here are the details:
- Rogers Digital TV and Hi-Speed Internet customers in Ontario can live stream TV content directly to their tablets for free, anywhere in their home over Wi-Fi.
- Available for iPad and Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 users.
- Download the app from iTunes or the Google Play and log in using your My Rogers profile.
- 24 channels and growing, including: Citytv, CityNews Channel, OMNI Television, Global, CBC News Network, YTV, Treehouse, CBS, NBC, ABC and Fox.
Picture this: you’re glued to your TV set enjoying one of your favourite Sportsnet shows like HOCKEY CENTRAL , Sportsnet Connected or UFC Central… you get the picture. You suddenly have an urge to grab a snack from your kitchen or just remembered you have a forgotten load of laundry that needs drying. Just grab your tablet and take Sportsnet Ontario with you while you’re running errands around the house.
To learn more about the Rogers Live TV app check out Rogers.com/LiveTV.
With Rogers Live TV on your tablet, you can transform any room in your home into a live sports zone. In your opinion, which room is the best spot to stream sports?
Kaili is a regular contributor to RedBoard
We don’t want to alarm some of our readers, but Mother’s Day is on Sunday, and this year Mom’s NOT looking for sweets or flowers! In a recent survey conducted by Tech Bargains and featured on iPhone in Canada, a whopping 91% of mothers are in favour of receiving a tech gadget over flowers!
In the spirit of this enlightening infographic, we thought we’d showcase some of the best apps for you to share with your mom for her gadgets. Whether she’s shopping for bargains or redecorating the kitchen, we’ve got you covered for tablets and smartphones!
Cozi Family Organizer – Free
Cozi is the ultimate family organizer for moms on the go. Manage the family schedule, organize shopping and to do lists, and capture favorite memories—all in one place. Best of all, the app is accessible from any computer, mobile phone or tablet, and you only need one account for the entire family!
Big Oven – Free
This is a cooking app that pretty much thought of everything for mom – automatically convert between metric and imperial units, create shopping lists, and generate recipes from ingredients you already have! It’ll even tell you just how many calories are in each serving. With over 170,000 recipes, there’s plenty of user-generated information including review comments and photos and such too.
Food Gardening Guide – Free
Did you know you can harvest carrots, store them over the winter, and replant in spring to generate seeds? Now you do, thanks to the Food Gardening Guide app! Mom learn all about planting, harvesting and storage, saving seeds, pest and disease prevention, growing, and kitchen prep.
ShopCatch – Free
Quite possibly the handiest shopping app period, your mom will love this intuitive tool. Get location based deals, keep tabs on your favourite retailers, and get exclusive deals to share with friends. With over 150 retailers listed, there’s something for every mom!
SnapShop Showroom – Free
This app is pure genius – the concept? See what furniture will look like inside your home before you buy it. Take a photo of a room, browse the furniture catalogue and select an item, then place, size and position it in your photo. You can even browse the retailer’s sites without leaving the app. Now THAT’S convenient!
Available on iPhone and iPad.
What apps is your mom currently into? Did we leave any other dynamic ones off the list?
share this Comments Off