Did you know Billy Bob Thornton, Bob Odenkirk, Martin Freeman, Kate Walsh and Colin Hanks recently spent some time north of the border filming Fargo? The dark comedy series, based on the Coen brothers’ Oscar-winning film, was shot entirely in Calgary! The new FXX Canada series tells the story of a rootless man named Lorne Malvo (Thornton) who meets small town insurance salesman Lester Nygaard (Freeman) and sets him on a path of destruction.
Here are five more fun facts about this new series:
- Calgary’s a cow town, but stars Thornton and Freeman are vegan and vegetarian, respectively.
- A Vancouver dialect coach worked with the actors to get the Minnesota accent just right, don’tcha know.
- Thornton said Calgary is his favourite city in Canada.
- At one point, -37°C temperatures caused production to shut down (yet, Odenkirk said that he doesn’t think Calgary is that cold).
- Despite the cold weather, some scenes in Fargo actually required the use of fake snow.
Fargo premiered last week on FXX and FX Canada – and if you missed it, don’t worry! You can watch it on demand with the new FXNOW Canada video player and app (available on iOS and Android), Rogers on Demand (channel 100) or Rogers Anyplace TV.
The ten-episode series airs Tuesdays on FXX at 10 p.m. ET/PT, and FXX is exclusively available to Rogers digital customers on a free preview until June 30 on channels 64 and 566.
Who’s your favourite screen star in Fargo?