It’s an exciting time to be in the tech industry and see the advancement of technology first hand. From how social media is affecting the way we communicate, to the evolution of smartphone cameras and mobile payment solutions – there’s always news to catch up on in our weekly Weekend Reading series.
Has Twitter become the new 911 for emergencies?
This week Tech Vibes posed an interesting question to their readers: Social Media and Emergency Response: Would You Tweet or Dial 9-1-1? In their post, they look at the changing landscape of technology, and how real-time capabilities have altered our methods of communication.
How far have we come? A whopping “63% of Canadians think disaster and emergency response agencies, including fire and police, should be prepared to respond to calls for help that are posted on social networks.” But how much faith do we have in response times, and which news source do we trust the most? Find out in the full article here.
Digital cameras vs.smartphone cameras
Cameras are a unique piece of technology– they’re the rare device that remains in constant demand for the tech world.Everyone wants to capture memories, and the addition of cameras to smartphones has made it that much easier to snap and share your adventures.
Gizmodo wrote a brief article this week on just how far smartphone cameras have advanced, claiming that some tech devices have better cameras now than traditional point and shoot cameras from just five years ago! Check out the full article for their comparisons and let us know your fave smartphone cameras in the comments below.
Speaking of smartphone cameras, we also did a Q&A with photographer Alex Evans earlier this week about his experience with the camera on the new Motorola RAZR HD LTE. Check out the post, and some of his pictures here.
Mobile Wallet Updates
Mobile wallets remain a hot topic in the news this week. Shortly after our announcement of our partnership with Gemalto for secure mobile NFC payment solutions, eMarketer published an article called Mobile Wallets or Fully Digital Wallets? In it, they examine why consumers want mobile payments extended beyond their mobile wallets to their PC, and what steps companies are taking to get there.
iPhone in Canada also shared their thoughts on our announcement, reminding readers of our current partnership with CIBC to pilot NFC-enabled devices. Tech Vibes also published a post about mobile wallet. In it, the included excerpts of a conversation with David Robinson, VP, Emerging Business at Rogers about mobile payment security measures.
Got more tech news? Tweet us @RogersBuzz!
Kelly is a regular contributor for RedBoard
WelcomeThe official blog of Rogers Communications, RedBoard™ is a place to discuss news and ideas as well as industry issues and trends. Join the conversation. For our comments policy, click here (Updated July, 2012).
Featured Fan Page
Rogers on YouTubeRogers suretap: Turn your wireless smartphone into a mobile wallet
More on YouTube
Tagsandroid app Apple apps blackberry Cable TV canada Connected Magazine contest data facebook HTC infographic Internet iPad iphone Long Term Evolution LTE Mobile movies Network Nokia RedBoard roaming rodo Rogers Rogers Anyplace TV Rogers LTE rogers on demand rogers on demand online Samsung Samsung Galaxy Tab smartphone smartphones social media streaming tablet tablets technology Toronto travel tv twitter Video Wireless
Most Popular Posts
- RogersJennifer on Weekend Reading: YouTube turns 8, teens get social and a Toronto Blue Jays offer
- Bhupinder D on Weekend Reading: YouTube turns 8, teens get social and a Toronto Blue Jays offer
- Craig on How to roam worry free in the U.S. this long weekend
- RogersSarah on Toronto Blue Jays’ Brandon Morrow connects with Rogers and BlackBerry fans
- C. Rolston on Toronto Blue Jays’ Brandon Morrow connects with Rogers and BlackBerry fans
- Weekend Reading: YouTube turns 8, teens get social and a Toronto Blue Jays offer
- Toronto Blue Jays’ Brandon Morrow connects with Rogers and BlackBerry fans
- Weekend Reading: App milestones, LTE rollouts, Google Play and coffee with Tim Cook
- How to roam worry free in the U.S. this long weekend
- What do the White House, the National Museum of India and Rogers retail locations have in common?
- 5 BlackBerry 10 apps for your small business
- BlackBerry Live 2013: Live from the Rogers Breakfast Forum
- Manage small business travel costs with Rogers worry-free U.S. Roaming Internet Rate
- How to run a webinar: Four tips for a more engaging session
- How Rogers and BlackBerry help Herrle’s Market grow great strawberries
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- Need Support? Click here.