Once you leave Canada, you’re roaming off the Rogers network. When you “roam”, you’re accessing services through a foreign cellular network and can incur incremental charges for your usage (talking, texting, emailing, web browsing etc).
Here are a few tips from Connected Magazine, on how you can save on roaming this March Break:
1. Make sure your data roaming is on–Most devices have the data roaming set to off. If you plan on checking email or using other data services such as web browsing, BBM, MMS, Visual Voicemail & Apps while you are away, turn data roaming on. Also, remember to turn off Apps that you’re not using to help conserve data.
3. Get a Roaming Data Pass – Sharing a picture, web browsing or checking email requires data. Passes start at $5 and include the following customer friendly features that help ensure a worry free roaming experience:
- Free near real-time text alerts that let you monitor your data usage.
- Data service cut-offs upon data-pass expiration, so you never have to worry about “overage” fees.
For Voice & Text:
4. Get a Combo Travel Pack–Need Voice and Text while you’re down in the Caribbean? The Zone 3 Combo Travel Pack is good for one month from the date of purchase and if you use up the Pack, you’ll continue to enjoy discounted rates (per minute, sent text) for your usage until the month is over.
5. Save juice by:
- Disabling Bluetooth and Wi-Fi (turn on Wi-Fi when looking for a hotspot).
- Turning your screen’s brightness down.
- Closing apps that run in the background.
Michelle is a new contributor to RedBoard