- Do any of you have a #GoPro? What's the most amazing video you've captured?
Earlier today, we celebrated a milestone for Rogers and CIBC customers – we marked the official rollout of mobile contactless payments in Canada by making the first SIM-based mobile transaction on an NFC-enabled smartphone. Pan American Games and Olympic medalist Simon Whitfield, joined us to make the first transaction at Tim Hortons where he purchased a coffee with his BlackBerry enabled smartphone from Rogers.
On November 16th the CIBC Mobile Payment app will be ready for download and you can start using it to pay for coffee, groceries and other everyday purchases by simply holding your smartphone up to any contactless payment terminals in merchants across Canada. Depending on the retailer, contactless payments over $50 generally require a signature. You will need a NFC SIM card to use the new solution and as of today, you can order it online here.
How do you get started?
To use the CIBC Mobile Payment App, you will need:
- suretap Ready Device: As of today, the BlackBerry 9900 and BlackBerry 9360 are available. In early 2013, Android and Windows 8 devices will be ready.
- CIBC credit card: Visit CIBC to learn more or to apply for a CIBC credit card today.
- Rogers NFC SIM Card: Rogers NFC SIM cards may be purchased online at www.rogers.com/suretap and over the next week, Rogers retail stores will also have stock available. Existing BlackBerry 9900 and BlackBerry 9360 customers will need to purchase a Rogers NFC SIM card for $12.99 and customers who purchase a new BlackBerry 9900 or BlackBerry 9360 will receive the Rogers NFC SIM card as part of the device at no extra cost.
- Download the app: Download the CIBC Mobile Payment app from BlackBerry App World on your eligible device. You will be prompted for your banking information to set up the app, so have it handy.
Where can I use it?
The CIBC Mobile Payment app will be accepted at tens of thousands of Visa payWave and MasterCard PayPass contactless terminals across Canada and around the world. A list of merchants that accept Visa payWave is available here and a list of merchants that accept MasterCard PayPass is available here.
What is Rogers suretap?
We are thrilled to finally share details about suretap, our new service that turns your wireless smartphone into a mobile wallet.
Are you ready to start using your smartphone as a wallet?
Allison is a regular contributor to Redboard.