It’s hard to believe that interactive games have been around for a half of a century. Surprised? Check out this recent article from our friends at Connected Magazine that includes a video covering fifty years of video game history.
The convergence between mobile and gaming has never been more prevalent and that’s why we’re excited to be adding the new Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY, the world’s first PlayStation Certified smartphone to our lineup this Spring. Adding to our growing lineup of Android smartphones, the Xperia PLAY combines a console-like gaming experience with the very latest Android platform version 2.3 and dedicated game controls.
With Angry Birds now one of the most popular games for the smartphone operating system, we know that the mobile media ecosystem has become a global game changer (pun intended). Check out these stats from a recent Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) survey.
- Smartphone users are five times more likely to play games almost every day than non-smartphone users.
- Most PlayStation gamers would rather give up social networking sites or fantasy sports leagues for a whole year than give up playing video games
- More than half of PS3 users tout a gaming library of double-digits
- 1 out of 5 gamers have played a PS3 game for 10+ straight hours.
- Chips and pizza ranked high as preferred gaming snacks but 1 out of 3 PS3 gamers choose not to snack at all during game play for total concentration
- 40% of PS3 gamers cannot be in a relationship with a partner who gets in the way of their gaming
To help fuel your passion for games, you can expect the Xperia PLAY to have around fifty games produced by a range of Android publishers at launch including favorites like: Asphalt 6: Adrenaline, Bruce Lee Dragon Warrior, Star Battalion, The Sims 3, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Air Attack HD, Need for Speed Shift, Dungeon Defender Second Wave, Guitar Hero and Assassins Creed.
Can’t wait for the Xperia PLAY?
Check out our recently launched microsite with more information, device specs, videos and pictures. You can also sign up to get the latest updates via email.
Join our Gamers Club
If you want to stay in the know about the newest and hottest mobile gaming content, you can join the Rogers Gamers Club. Just text CLUBS to 555 and you’ll receive an SMS with a link. Click on the link and select “Opt-In” under the Gamers Club header. Once you’ve opted into the club, you’ll receive free text alerts about the newest game releases, contests and promotions.
What are your favourite mobile games? Will you get the Xperia PLAY this Spring?
UPDATE (April 1, 2011, 1:01 pm): Pricing has been announced and a preorder site is now open. The Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY will be available for $99.99 with a three year voice and data package. Starting today, both new and existing customers can preorder this device through the preorder page found at http://www.rogers.com/xperia.
Miranda MacDonald is a regular contributor to RedBoard