The first time I ever heard a ringback, I was very confused. I called a coworker and instead of hearing that familiar ringing sound, I heard a U2 song. I immediately hung up thinking I called the wrong number.
Ringbacks — the ability to set music to play when someone calls you instead of them hearing that boring “ring ring” sound – are a popular way to express your musical style.
If you’re a fan of ringbacks or interested in trying them out, we recently re-launched our ringbacks platform to include some new plans and features that make them easier than ever to use.
What’s new with ringbacks?
- Super Shuffle – Now you can set your entire library of ringbacks to play at random every time someone calls. You can entertain your callers by choosing from thousands of hot new releases in categories such as Comedy, Sports, R&B, Rock and Hip Hop.
- Play To All Callers – Really loving that new Lady Gaga song? This setting allows you to set your song-of-the-moment to play to all of your callers.
- Voice Greeting – A three second voice greeting is now played before the ringback tone begins letting callers know they are about to hear a ringback (This would have been especially helpful for my first ringback experience!)
- Block List – You can now block callers from hearing your ringback by simply adding them to the block list – especially helpful if you don’t want to startle Grandma with the latest Eminem song when she calls
- urMusic – ringbacks are integrated into urmusic.ca, making it a one-stop music shop.
How do I get them?
You can text “ringbacks” to 555. In seconds you’ll receive a text message containing a link to join. If you click the link, you can check out the plans and follow the steps to set it up.
You can also sign up on the web by going to www.urMusic.ca/ringbacks. Click on Membership Info, select your plan and follow the steps to set up your ringback.
How much are they?
There are two options: A $1 pack gets you the monthly ringback service and first tone free’ additional tones are $2 each. There is also a $3 bundle that gets you the ringback service and two tones every month (with this option, the first month is free). The cost is added to your voice plan. You can cancel your ringbacks membership at any time.
Do you have a ringback? If so, what’s your song of choice? What song would you set as your ringback?
Miranda MacDonald is a regular contributor to RedBoard.