Back-to-school contest: Win a new laptop with Rocket built-in, a Rocket mobile hotspot or a BlackBerry prize pack
With back to school season in full swing and the first day of classes around the corner, it’s never been easier or more affordable to stay connected, productive and entertained.
- Social View smartphones that let you stay on top of every tweet, status update, text and email in one easy-to-use timeline.
- Rocket mobile internet sticks, hotspots, hub, and laptops that provide online access for work or play anywhere on the Rogers wireless network – perfect for updating your profile in between classes or the impromptu coffee-shop study session
- Rogers On Demand Online gives you instant access to a variety of primetime and web-exclusive TV, sports and movies so you can watch The Bachelor while your roommates are watching the hockey game.
It’s contest time
Now listen up, class. We here at RedBoard hope we can make going back to school a little bit easier by giving away five prizes that will make you the envy of your study group or staff lounge:
- One new HP laptop with Rocket built-in – one of the coolest additions to our 2010 lineup that has an 11.6-inch high-definition LED display, an HDMI port to easily connect to an HDTV, up to 6.5 hours of battery life, Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n plus Rocket mobile internet built right in so you can stay connected even when you’re not in an internet café.
- Two Rocket mobile hotspots so you can create your own password-protected hotspot for five, when and where you need it – and small enough to fit in your pocket.
- Two BlackBerry prize packs that include a backpack, USB key, tshirt and $100 Rogers gift card.
How the contest works
- In 100 words or less, tell us how winning the prizes above would change the school year for the student or teacher in your life. Or, if you are a student or teacher, the impact they’d have.
- You must submit your entries via the comments field below.
- The contest is open as of right now and will run until Thursday, Sept 2 at noon ET.
- The RedBoard team will narrow down the entries to our favourite five submissions and publish them on the blog Thursday afternoon along with details of the prize each won.
Consider this your first homework assignment of the year. Marks will be given for creativity…and spit out that gum.
Richard Bloom is a regular contributor to RedBoard.
Contest closes at 12:00 noon on September 2, 2010. Open to residents of Canada, excluding residents of Quebec. Tell us in 100 words or less, on the Rogers Redboard blog how winning the contest’s prizes would change the school year for the student or teacher in your life. Or, if you are a student or teacher, the impact they’d have. One (1) HP Laptop with Rocket Hub built-in(TM) valued at $549.99 to be won as the grand prize. Second and Third place winners will win one (1) of two (2) Rocket Mobile Hotspots™ each valued at $249.99 . Fourth and fifth place winners will win one (1) of two (2) BlackBerry® prize packs each valued at $175. One entry/person. Odds of winning depend on the quality of the post and the number of eligible entries. Mathematical skill-testing question to be correctly answered to win. No Purchase Necessary. Full Rules at http://redboard.rogers.com/2010/redboard-back-to-school-contest
Update (September 2, 2:03 p.m.): The entry period for our Back-to-school contest has closed – and we’re thrilled by all the submissions. From poems to heart-felt stories, the quality was fantastic and certainly creative. Well done. You each get an A for effort — but we had to narrow it down to five.
Here are the winning submissions and each winner’s prize from our random draw (we will get in touch with each of you via email to arrange delivery):
Chris G (Prize: Rocket mobile hotspot):
Winning the laptop for my cousin would be awesome, between work playing for the basketball team and in class he’s constantly on the move. Simply finding wifi isn’t possible, especially during the long road trips during away games. Overall it gives him an added advantage to succeed in all that he does. I think he would take the mobile hotspot and let his teammates jump on to catch up on school, or connect with friends and family while on the road. The $100 gift card will come into play when he inevitably loses his phone (happens once a year).
Kim S (Prize: BlackBerry prize pack):
Winning any one of the prizes would make school much easier for my sister. She has 4 kids, and is doing her masters online. She spends all her money on her kids, so her computer and cell phone are older, slower models with limited features. It would be awesome to help her out if I could.
Derek (Prize: Rocket mobile hotspot):
Generation X teaching Generation Z – how do we keep up? If you can’t beat them, join them! When I was a student, I communicated with phone calls and notes being passed back and forth in class when the teacher wasn’t looking (and walked uphill both ways of course!) Generation Z is always connected. More and more is being done online – handouts, discussion forums and student-teacher evaluations. This mobile pack will help me work and teach anywhere from field trips to the library dead zones. So class, let’s get out of the classroom this year!
Jessica Straus (Prize: HP laptop computer):
I thought I would express how much these prizes will help me through a limerick.
There once was a girl from Brock
Who’s computer was more like a rock.
She tries to be cool
When she brings it to school.
But that dang things works worse than a clock.
If that doesn’t convince you… here is a hiaku.
To be the winner,
There could be nothing better,
A sweet new laptop!
Lynn G. (Prize: BlackBerry prize pack):
I am a Gr. 5/6 teacher who does everything in her power to add technology into her classroom (students gets very motivated with computers, cameras and the Internet). Finally, I get access to my own Smartboard this year! But the problem is there is no Wi-Fi at my school and using the short cord to reach the wall is such a pain. And the sign-out list for the “teacher laptop” is brutal. Therefore, having my own laptop would make my Smartboard a permanent fixture in our classroom. Which will help motivate my students to become more engaged lifelong learners!
WelcomeThe official blog of Rogers Communications, RedBoard™ is a place to discuss news and ideas as well as industry issues and trends. Join the conversation. For our comments policy, click here (Updated July, 2012).
Featured Fan Page
Rogers on YouTubeRogers suretap: Turn your wireless smartphone into a mobile wallet
More on YouTube
Tagsandroid app Apple apps blackberry Cable TV canada Connected Magazine contest data facebook HTC infographic Internet iPad iphone Long Term Evolution LTE Mobile mobile wallet movies Network Nokia RedBoard rodo Rogers Rogers Anyplace TV Rogers LTE rogers on demand rogers on demand online Samsung Samsung Galaxy Tab smartphone smartphones social media streaming tablet tablets technology Toronto touchscreen tv twitter Video Wireless
Most Popular Posts
- Danny on Samsung Galaxy S4 now available for reservation and pre-order
- Keith on Stream the playoffs live on your smartphone with Rogers Anyplace TV and CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada
- Rogers_Chris on Samsung Galaxy S4 now available for reservation and pre-order
- Ishan on Samsung Galaxy S4 now available for reservation and pre-order
- Rogers_Chris on Samsung Galaxy S4 now available for reservation and pre-order
- BlackBerry Q10 smartphone available today from Rogers
- Stream the playoffs live on your smartphone with Rogers Anyplace TV and CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada
- We’re so proud! LinkedIn says Rogers employees among world leaders in volunteering
- Weekend Reading: Smartphone user dating habits, coding for kids and LTE in seven new markets this week
- How do I change my method of payment online? Your questions answered
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- Need Support? Click here.